AutoCompleteExtender in WCSF

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:43 PM
Hi
I have problems with the AutoCompleteExtender, from the Ajax Control Toolkit, work with my WCF-service. I'll have to use WCF because I need state and I have to call a COM-server for suggestions when a user is typing letters in my textbox. To be able to talk to the COM-server I have to log on first, and I dont want to do that for every character the user types.

So I need the service to hold on an instance of the COM-server as long as the users session is alive or for a period that is suiteable. In WCF you have a possibility to configure your service to use the same service-instance for every request from the same session.

I tried to use and ASMX-service to support the front-end (AutoCompleteExtender) and then called the WCF-service within this ASMX. This works but I keep creating new instances of my COM-server because it seems that the WCF does not sees the ASMX-calls as one session. And that makes sense too because ASMX is typical web technology (request/response).

Can anyone tell me its possible to use the AutoCompleteExtender with a WCF-service? And how?
Apr 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Hi @RightCoder

AutoCompleteExtender should work with WCF directly as long as you expose the service endpoint properly. The only think we don't support is using dependency injection on WCF services.

Sorry for the delayed reply
Glenn